Pregnant is a blissful event to each woman yet most of the women do not aware of pregnancy complications. During pregnancy, a women can have a lot of illnesses such as anemia, sleeplessness, depression, skin disease, nausea and certain kinds of infections. Among these illness, sleeplessness occurs widely, up to 33% of pregnant women.
The sleeplessness of pregnant women is a result of many factors such as lack of nutrition, anxiety, incorrect sleeping positions and the discomfort due to the tummy developing, causing the backbone to suffer pressures.
To avoid sleeplessness, a pregnant women should choose the proper sleeping position which will enable her to sleep deeply, and this can be achieved by the help of pregnancy pillow for women.
Alert: Black Friday Deals with huge discount! Best Pillow Black Friday Deals 2016 happens!!!
Best pregnancy women reviews 2016/2017
Leachco is one of the biggest brands in the pregnancy pillow industry, and their products are mostly about “snoogle pillow” design. The Snoogle Total Body Pillow from Leachco is patented with a C-shaped letter, contouring and wrapping the whole pregnant women body.
Special design that differs with others C letter pillow out there
Unlike other C-shaped pregnancy pillows on the market, Leachco has a patented design for there C-shaped pillow. The horseshoe shaped head allows you to keep your head at a perfect height for you, the long middle part will cradle your tummy and the curved shaped end is perfect to tuck between your legs comfortably.
The Leachco Snoogle Total Body Pillow is made with high-quality polyester and a custom removable cover by 100% cotton that is machine washable.
Although this Leachco pillow is not marked as orthopedic pillow, it is proven to lessen pregnancy complications, mentioned by users on amazon.
The pillow support the whole backbone that will prevent back pain and sciatica, cradle the belly and prop up the head to avoid heartburn.
- Ultimate support for the whole body from top-to-toe, giving a comfortable sleeping time.
- Lessen common pregnancy complications such as back pain, sciatica, heartburn, acid reflux and others.
- Removable cover that is machine washable, easy for cleaning
- Some buyers find it a bit cumbersome when taking the cover off, washing it and put it back to the pillow due to the pillow special shape.
The Leachco Back ‘N Belly Contoured Body Pillow is a U-shaped letter pillow, one of the greatest pregnancy pillows from Leachco brand. Unlike C-shaped pillow, this pillow will support the back and the belly at the same time because it has two “legs” with proper contours.
U shape designed to contour the whole body naturally
This U shaped pillow wraps the exterior body of the pregnant woman. You can sleep on the center of the pillow (a double decker head support). The pillow will ensure you to have a correct sleeping position, neutralizing joint pressure so you will wake up with no back pain.
Similar to the C-shaped pregnancy pillow, the U-shaped pregnancy pillow has a quite similar therapeutic effect profiles. It can alleviate back pain, sciatica, heartburn, gastric reflux as well as nasal congestion.
Phthalate Free, Latex Free, Lead Free, BPA Free
The noticing features of this U shaped pillow is that it is stuffed with high quality polyester which is free of Phthalate , Latex , Lead , BPA. Therefore, it is safer for pregnant women who have to suffer allergies.
- Support the whole body both back and front at the same time
- Free of chemicals like latex, lead, BPA and Phthalate
- Alleviates pregnancy illnesses like back pain, sciatica, heartburn, gastric reflux, nasal congestion.
- It is more expensive than the C-shaped pregnancy pillow
The PharMeDoc Total Body Pillow is a C-shaped pregnancy pillow (but it looks like a G shape much more) that provide full body support and promote a better sleeping time. Compared to Leachco C-shaped body pillow, this one is a bit bigger with a longer curved end toward the center of the pillow (like a G shape). The pillow contours the body, props the head and supports the tummy, and tucks between legs to provide ultimate comfort to the body.
This pillow will alleviate several pregnant illnesses includes
- Restless nights
- Sore necks
- Aching shoulders
- Lower back pain
Phthalate Free, Latex Free, Lead Free, BPA Free
The best part is that this PharMeDoc Total Body Pillow is made with polyester fibers that are Phthalate Free, Latex Free, Lead Free, BPA Free. If you have allergies, this pillow will be a great deal for you.
- Support the whole body, neutralize pressures and stresses on body, delivering a better sleep.
- Reduce pregnant complications
- Zipped washable cotton cover for easier cleaning.
- Heavier and bigger than the C letter pregnancy pillow from Leachco (6.8 pounds vs. 3.0 pounds)
The Coop Home Goods is one of the biggest pillow manufacturers in the US. What makes Coop Home Goods’ pillow to be the choice of many 4-star hotels? It is because Coop Home Goods pillows are all made with luxurious and highly qualified materials, and above all, it delivers the comfortable feeling to any sleeping styles.
Design of Coop Home Goods 20×54-Inch Shredded Memory Foam Pillow with Viscose Rayon Bamboo Cover
This pillow has a traditional design (full body pillow in a column-like shape), the pillow can be stuff in or fluff out with shredded memory foam
This full body pillow is stuffed with shredded memory foam. Shredded memory foam retains the advantages of memory foam like moldable, supportive but it reduces heat build up during the whole night, and never go flat like any junk out there. Especially, all of the memory foam used by Coop Home Goods is certified by CertiPUR-US standard.
Moreover, the luxurious Viscose Rayon Bamboo Cover promotes more air-flow, bringing a soothing feeling the whole night.
- One of the best full body pillows on the market
- CertiPUR-US verified, hyper-allergenic materials
- Giving the soothing feeling and never go flat for at least 5 years
This full body pillow from Snuggle-Pedic is an alternative to the one from Coops Home Good. Both of them is somehow very identical, even being produced by 2 different brands. The full body pillow from Snuggle-Pedic is also one of the greatest full body pillow (beside Coop Home Goods). It possesses a similar profile with the above one.
- Made by high quality shredded memory foam with CertiPUR-US certification, Eco-Green certification, non allergenic to users.
- Support the whole body for side sleepers, pregnant women and never feel hot during the night because of Kool-Flow cover from bamboo fiber mix.
- Durable for over 5 years
The Boppy Pregnancy Wedge, Petite Trellis is a popular wedge pillow, aiming to support the back and the tummy of pregnant women. The pillow provide a firm support, alleviate the back pain due to pressures and stresses on the body. The cover is removable so you can clean easily. It is also very versatile to bring along any place you travel
- Durable and provide strong support
- Compact design, portable to bring along
- Can only support a part (back or tummy) of the body
- Still need a head pillow
The Leachco Snoogle Mini Compact Side Sleeper pillow is a compact design of the Snoogle C-letter pillow. This pillow is designed just right to support the most needed parts of the pregnant women includes head, tummy and between legs. After giving birth, this pillow can also be used as a leg pillow or a nursing pillow too.
- Compact design so it won’t take much space
- Cheaper than the full -size C shaped pillow from Snoogle, while using the same materials.
- Perfect for travel
- It may not fit to all women, especially who is taller than usual.
What is a pregnancy pillow
A pregnancy pillow is a type of pillow that is exclusively designed for pregnant women, to help them having a better sleeping time. This can be done because
The pregnancy pillow will neutralize pressure joint of the body, therefore, the women will experience less body aches during sleeping
The pregnancy pillow will contour the body shape, therefore, the women do not need to reposition during sleeping
The pregnancy pillow will support the back, the head, the legs and the tummy, therefore, the pregnant women will feel more comfortable
The pregnancy pillow is often made by high quality materials, it is therefore not going to be flat during the night. The pillow also facilitates air circulation too.
And one of the best part about pregnancy pillow, it is proven to help pregnant women to have a resounding night.
Type of a pregnancy pillow
Pregnancy pillow is customized into different types. Let’s have an overview of them
Wedge pregnancy pillow – suitable for any one
Wedge pregnancy pillow is made as a wedge shape, which is aimed to support the back and/or the tummy of pregnancy women, by propping it underneath.
Pros and cons of the wedge pregnancy pillow
- The cheapest pregnancy pillow
- Flexible to bring around
- Still need a separate head pillow
- Can only support one part of the body. If you want to support the back, tummy and head, you will have to use many pieces, which is not very convenient.
Full body pregnancy pillow – best pillow for side sleeper
The full body pregnancy pillow is designed in a column like shape, running long the whole body. Depending on the materials making full body pillow, it can be “flexible” or firm. The flexible full body pillow is often better, because it con contour and bend into any shape you want. It is also made with high quality materials (polyester) so it will not create noise during sleeping.
Pros and cons of full body pregnancy pillow
- Support the whole body
- Reduce body pain
- Do not need a head pillow
- Do not fit with back sleepers or stomach sleeper.
- Varied in quality so you need to check carefully
Total body pillow for maternity
The total body pregnancy pillow is often made is letter shape. The most common design is C-shaped pregnancy pillow, J-shaped pregnancy pillow and U shaped pregnancy pillow.
The total body pillow will wrap around the body of the pregnant women, giving the full support to the body from head to toe. This type of pillow support the back, the head, the tummy, the legs, neutralize all of the pressure joints, giving pregnant women the body the best sleeping position they could have
Pros and cons of total body pregnancy pillow
- The best pregnancy pillow for all sleeping styles
- Can be used for the whole pregnant cycle
- Made of luxurious and verified materials so women will never suffer allergies (they are marked by CertiPUR-US mostly).
* CertiPUR-US: a certificate program for foam and pillow materials that is free of ozone depleters, solvents (PBDEs, TDCPP, TCEP), free of mercury, lead and other heavy metals, free of formaldehyle, free of phthalates and free of volatile organic compound (VOC). A pillow which is certified with CertiPUR-US is guaranteed to be made with the highest quality it can be.
- The total body pregnancy pillow is bigger so it will take up space
- Bulky so you need to check for removable cover, if it does not have, you should not take it because cleaning it will be very cumbersome
FAQs about pregnancy pillows
- What is a pregnancy pillow
A pregnancy pillow is a sleeping pillow that is design to help the pregnant women to have a better sleeping time during her special time. This is because pregnant women will suffer a lot of changes (weight, shape, hormones) with her body. A pregnant pillow will let her enjoy comfortably during sleeping, which a regular pillow often lacks.
- Why do you need a pregnancy pillow
If you have no trouble when sleeping, it is so perfect and you do not need any pregnancy pillow. But the fact is that most of the pregnant women experience body pain, back pain in regular activities and the pain increase during her sleeping time. This results in insomnia, fatigue, anemia and other complications.
Their are several ways to improve the sleeping quality of a pregnant women, by medications, therapies, massages, but believe it or not, the easiest way is to reduce the pressure joints on her body. And, the pregnancy pillow is the best option.
- When to buy a pregnancy pillow
It is up to you, as long as you still feel comfortable when sleeping, but it is empirical to say most of pregnant women change their body shape significantly at the third trimester. Therefore, it is highly recommended to buy a pregnancy pillow at 6th month of your cycle.
- Will the size of a pregnant pillow matter?
Choosing the correct size of a pregnancy pillow does matter a lot. You should think of your body size to choose the most appropriate one. On the package, there is recommendation for you to find out which size will fit with your body height and weight.
Also, you need to consider the space of your bed and your husband too. 🙂
- Removable cover of a pregnancy pillow
Because most of the pregnancy pillow is bulky in size, especially the letter shaped pregnancy pillow. Make sure to check if the manufacturer has a removable cover in the package or they sell it separately. If a certain manufacturer does not have a removable cover for the pillow, you should better to choose a different brand, because it is very hard to clean the pillow if it does not have the cover.
- Materials of making pregnancy pillow
When choosing a pregnancy pillow, the materials of stuffing is the most crucial one. While there are a lot of stuffing option, such as styrofoam, beads, polyester, cotton fiber, proprietary cotton-polyester blend, microbeads and more, you should avoid cheap foams like styrofoam and beads.
Styro-foam and beads often cause noise, accumulate dirt and not conform to the body shape.
Polyester is a better option than styro-foam. When choosing a pregnancy pillow made by polyester, you should check for the density of the polyester. A low density polyester pillow is generally cheaper and it will go flat very soon.
Cotton fiber is sometimes used making pregnancy pillows and it is often not used alone. The advantage of natural cotton is that it is organic, provide better circulation of airflow. However, the cotton alone does not have molding feature, it is therefore not used alone today.
proprietary memory foam-polyester blend is the combination of memory foam and polyester fiber at 50:50 ratio or 60:40 ratio, respectively. The advantage of this mixture is that it has desirable features of memory foam (mold and support) and polyester (firm and high airflow). This is one of the best materials for making pillow actually.
Microbead is a premium materials for making pregnancy pillow. It is made as tiny balls of polyesters, giving the best balance between firmness and softness, and it is very lightweight to carry around. The pillow made by microbead has a better circulation so it won’t build up the heat during the night.
- CertiPUR-US is what? Why a pillow should have this label?
CertiPUR-US is an independent certificate program for foam industry. When a pillow/ mattress manufacturer applies for CertiPUR-US, their products will be tested with a lot parameters. Only the foam ensure the best quality and does not harm to human health are approved.
When you see a pillow or mattress with CertiPUR-US on the label, you will know that it is
- Made without ozone depleters
- Made without PBDEs, TDCPP or TCEP (”Tris”) flame retardants
- Made without mercury, lead, and other heavy metals
- Made without formaldehyde
- Made without phthalates regulated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission
- Low VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) emissions for indoor air quality (less than 0.5 parts per million)
- How to sleep with a pregnancy pillow
Depending on the design, you can have a lot of options to sleep with a pregnancy pillow
Sleeping with a wedge pillow is very straight-forward, you can use the wedge pillow to prop under back, tummy or legs.
Sleeping with a full body pillow is very easy. If you choose the stable version, you will place your head under a head pillow (a separate one), holding the full body pillow in your arms and keeping it in the middle of your legs
Sleeping with a C /J letter pillow
You put your head on one end of the pillow while your legs are on the “riding position”. With this sleeping position. The C letter pillow will support your head, tummy, legs and backbone, reducing the joint pressure as a result.
With the J letter, you can put your head on one end of the pillow and embrace the whole pillow. The J letter and C letter pillow give similar support to the body, but the J letter does not take much space as its counterpart.
Sleeping with a U letter pillow
The U shape pillow will wrap around the body. Placing the head at the center of the pillow, the pillow will support not only the front, but also your back too. This U shape pillow will negate your sleeping re-position during the night so it will save you from sleeping interruption.
- Where to buy pregnancy pillow
Because it is a worthy investment to pregnant women sleeping quality, you should target best brands in pillow industry such as Leachco, Coop Home Goods, Pharmedoc, Snuggle-Pedic, Sleep Innovation and Medi-flow. These brands are well known on the pillow industry for their products quality and rest-assurance. Each brand has their own special type of pillows. Just go around these brands, you will find the perfect pillow.